Harmless Human

Air is polluted, water is contaminated, crime levels are on a high, people are committing suicide, people are killing each other, animals and birds may go extinct... this was the on-going discussion in my family which I did not bother to listen. Why should I care? I have so many pressures to deal with, I too have to make ends meet, I am harmless and in no way responsible for this mess on our planet.

A butterfly which flew into my home caught my attention. It was the most beautiful butterfly I had ever seen. God may have given his personal touch to the wings of the butterfly; It was in bright orange with shades of black, blue, yellow and red (Even a beautiful woman may not have caught so much of my attention!). The butterfly slowly started taking elevation and came dangerously close to coming in contact with the rotating ceiling fan. It was obvious that an accident was going to happen if I didn’t turn off the fan but why should I do it? So I just sat there cursing the butterfly to get away from the fan. It was a horrific sight as the fan clipped one of the butterfly’s wings; the butterfly fell down and continuously flapped its other wing in pain. Suddenly a lizard jumped in, put the butterfly in its mouth, ran away to a safer place and slowly swallowed the butterfly to death. I was too shocked, all this happened in just a couple of minutes; I was just admiring its beauty and all of a sudden it got lost forever and I’ll never be able to see it again. Was I in any way responsible for this mess? Did my inaction lead to the death of the butterfly? DID I KILL THE BUTTERFLY?

If we don’t act on time then we may lose everything that is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment